Gemini, our newest car, was unveiled on June 20th, 2003 in preparation for the American, and World Solar Challenges. Gemini is the first two-person Canadian solar car, and its design is completely revolutionary. Gemini is the first high-performance side-by-side two-seater solar car in the world. It has a completely new aerodynamical profile from it’s predecessor, Mirage, along with completely new mechanical and electrical systems.
Gemini has an aerodynamic, airfoil-shaped body and a high-efficiency solar array. A four wheel design was chosen to maximize stability. A carbon fiber monocoque chassis (similar to that used in Formula One race cars) is used because of its light weight and stiffness, and an original steering system (resembling tank steering) is employed to allow all components to fit inside the thin body of the car. The team has also designed an electronic network to control the vehicle’s telemetry and electrical systems.
- 3450 solar cells from Emcore, with an average efficiency of 25%, convert the sun’s energy into electricity to power the car.
- To store energy, the team is using a 5 kWh Lithium Ion Polymer battery pack made of batteries sponsored by Emerging Power, and assembled by the team. These batteries were chosen for their high capacity, and low mass.
- A carbon fibre monocoque chassis, similar to that used in Formula One race cars, is used because of its light weight and stiffness.
- An electronic network inside the car controls the telemetry, communications, turn signals, driver interface and power systems.
- Four wheel, upper/lower arm design.
- To reduce aerodynamic drag, the team used computer software to design a wing shaped body and fairings around the wheels.
|Length||5.96m||Aeroshell||carbon fibre/nomex lower half, kevlar/nomex upper half|
|Width||1.96m||Chassis||carbon fibre monocoque|
|Height||1.03m||Suspension||upper/lower arm design|
|Wheelbase||2.15m||Steering||pull/pull cable steering to slider|
|Vehicle Weight||410 kg (902 lbs)||Brakes||modified mountain- bike hydraulic disk brakes|
|Wheels||4 custom Aluminum 4-spoke wheels||Drag Co-
|Tires||Michelin Custom tires||Solar Array||~ 3450 Emcore 25% efficient cells|
|Top Speed||125 km/h||Array
|2000W peak output|
|Motor||5.6 kW (8hp) in hub motor||Battery||
30 kg Lithium-Polymer